(HealthDay News) -- Planning to become pregnant? Now is the time to get your body in shape and ready for baby.
The womenshealth.gov website offers this pre-conception advice:
- Take a folic acid supplement every day to help lower the risk of having a baby with birth defects.
- Avoid alcohol, and quit smoking.
- Maintain good control of any chronic medical condition, such as diabetes, asthma or epilepsy.
- Get all recommended vaccinations.
- Check with your doctor about the safety of your medications, vitamins and herbal supplements.
- Avoid exposure to toxic chemicals or substances.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.